Wednesday, July 7, 2010

1934 - It Happened A Few Nights




It Happened One Night, which actually happens over a few nights, was the first Romantic Comedy to win an Oscar as well as the first film to make the "grand slam", taking home the Oscar in all 5 major categories.

The story embodies the exciting cat & mouse romance between Peter Warne, played by Clark Gable and the spoiled heirass, Ellen Andrews played by Claudette Colbert. Warne stumbles upon his next great headline when he happens upon the same bus as the heiress who, having married the fortune hunter "King" Westley, against her fathers wishes, has run away from her father who is insisting that she end the marriage before it is consummated (wink wink nudge nudge). Along their journey they find themselves stranded and having to find other ways to get back home. Inevitably the traveling pair develop an affection for one another and after a series of close calls and misunderstandings, Warne gets his headline and his girl.

Claudette Colbert plays the spoiled heiress which doesn't seem a far cry from her real life personality. Initially she did not even want to do the film until the movie company convinced her by doubling her fee. The iconic image of Ellie lifting her skirt to stop a car was a great bone of contention for the actress. Originally she refused saying that it was unladylike. Upon seeing the chorus girl who would "stand in" for Colbert (see what I did there, cause it was her leg see?), she balked at the director and agreed. Contrary to her belief, this role won Colbert the Oscar for best actress. An award she was so certain she would not win that she had set out on a cross country train trip. She was literally pulled off of the train to accept her award in her two piece traveling suit - a far cry from the designer gowns that grace the red carpet today.



Claudette was not the only to have issues with the film. Clark Gable is reported to have said, upon arriving on set for the first day of filming, "Alright, let's get this over with.". Despite his reluctance to do the film, however, Mr. Gable would often play practical jokes on set, to lighten the mood.

Also notable, this is Frank Capra's first award winning film. Capra would go on, of course, to direct many award winning Classics including It's A Wonderful Life, You Can't Take it With You and Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.

Soooo.....


Nic: that was cute
Cin: Finally
Nic Indeed, it twas a gooder. What did you like aboot it?
Cin: Loved the story, loved the acting loved the directing. I don't think there was anything I didn't like about it. Loved the chemistry between Gable and Colbert
Nic: Funnily enough a few Loony Cartoon Characters were inspired by some of the characters in the movie
Cin: Really
Nic the Scene where Clark Gable is eating the carrot inspired Bugs Bunny himself
Cin REALLY, isn't that funny?! It was really cool to see Clark Gable so young
Nic And so handsome
Cin Great actor...and very cute
Nic: Yes they had a very nice rapport....comparable to Barrymore and Garbot in Grand Hotel
Cin What I liked about this is that it was an academy award winner on many levels, 5 right?
Nic: (nods head)
Cin and yet it wasn't a big budget, at least I don't think
Nic Let me check....Budget $325,000!
Cin Was that a lot for that day?
Nic: Grand Hotel was $700,000 and Cimarron was $1,500,000
Cin: Alright, so it was cheap
Nic: I'm enjoying seeing these old films...well the good ones...I had feared that I wouldn't be able to really get into them but they really do stand the test of time if given a chance. It really shows that a good plot is timeless
Cin: This definitely was one of my favorites so far. This one and Grand Hotel
Nic: Agreed, I would definitely invite Oscar in for a night cap
Cin: I think for me, I know it's slutty to say, I think I'd be cooking Oscar breakfast the next morning
Nic: GIRL!!!! Well, you're lucky, you don't have neighbours right next door.....
Cin: Okay I think I gave my Oscar virginity away too quickly. I mean it's only 1934. I think I would have invited Oscar out for drinks and talked to the early hours of the movie.
Nic: Yes, this has proven that he could hold a conversation past midnight for sure. But, yes, it is the 1930's, let's not be completely...
Cin: Un-lady like

No comments:

Post a Comment